Monday, April 08, 2013

Let the INSANITY Begin!

I received 2 health related items for my birthday.  Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor (Google Affiliate Ad) (which I will review in another post) and the INSANITY workout from Beachbody. So my oldest son and I hit the Gym at 5:00am this morning, popped in the first DVD. The first day of INSANITY is a 'Fit Test' which is a series of 8 exercises that you perform individually for 1 minute each as fast as you can. Then you record how many repetitions you did. Through the 9 week program, you do this test every 2 weeks , then at the end to see what kind of progress you are making. Here are this morning's stats:


ExerciseReps
Switch Kicks56 per leg
Power Jacks46
Power Knees75
Globe Jumps8
Suicide Jumps12
Push Up Jacks22
Low Plank Oblique24 per leg

I've committed not only to complete the program in the allotted time, but also to follow (to the best of my ability) the Nutritional guide provided with the DVDs. You first Calculate your caloric needs using the Harris Benedict Equation (which has been around for almost 100 years) and then adjusting the result to your specific goals (weight loss, weight gain, maintain weight) against the program. I myself will be upping my calorie intake quite a bit from the calorie restricted diet that has helped me lose my first 50 pounds. The guide then gives you a plan for how what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat it. In reviews of INSANITY that I have read, most people who talk about getting great results from this program followed the nutrition plan. Those that did not, did not see as good results. So I might as well do what I'm told! Since I've been eating a calorie restricted diet for the last 3 months, I'm ramping up to my calories over the first week adding a little more each day.

I am really excited to be doing this program and I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

edit: Here is my starting photo



1 comment:

Shawn said...

I am totally happy for you and hope you do well in this task. I have never commented on your blog before, but I was a reader of your XNA work. I think you have done very well for yourself so far and hope you continue your accomplishments. I am somewhat motivated myself just by seeing you, at the very least, attempt this. Keep up the good work!