Monday, April 10, 2006

juggling: Restarting


So, a couple of years ago out of a fit of wanting to learn something new, I surfed around the net and found some good resources concerning juggling. A co-worker and I started learning together. I made some custom juggling balls from here (did the smallest 12 panel ones)

http://www.pjb.com.au/jug/leatherballs.html

and began. I learned 3 balls pretty quickly and was happy with my progress. I learned 2 in one hand and then a 4 ball fountain. I got up to an occasional 5 ball flash. I learned a bunch of simple patterns (reverse cascade, shower, half-shower, tennis, etc) but nothing too outrageous (I can do a little bit of mills mess, but that is about it) So then nothing. I have gotten no better even though I tried, so I let my new skills fade a little. I hadn't picked up my juggling balls in a long time and felt a cringe every time I walked past my gym bag filled with beanbags, stage balls an $90 worth of renegade clubs.

So, I'm looking over google video the other day and stumble upon the Chris Bliss / Jason Garfield videos. I had seen Jason's stuff before and was always impressed, and this was hilarious. So it inspired me to check out his website for the first time in a while and also the World Juggling Federation website.

http://www.jasongarfield.com/
http://www.thewjf.com/

I emailed Jason and asked him a couple of questions, then decided to get Jason's teaching DVD and book to see if they could perhaps help me in my juggling woes.

http://www.thewjf.com/store/tap.htm

It is supposed to ship today, so I anxiously await their arrival.

I have no delusions or grandeur, I do not expect to skim his book and be able to do 7 club backcrosses the same day (which is good cause I only own 3) But I really have my heart set on being able to pull off a really nice 5 ball routine someday. So, is this a bloggable subject? Does anyone care? Who knows! We will see what the future holds.

I will write a full review of the book and DVD and also give you my first hand account of a lousy juggler trying again with a new method.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you were my juggling inspiration, if that is worth anything to ya ;-) I am also stuck at the four ball fountain (shaky) and 5 ball flash. I haven't practiced much lately, but I do pick them up to relax occasionally.

I have always been impressed with Jason Garfield's juggling videos on the net, but his attitude is a bit over the top. I guess when you are awesome, it is hard to not know that you are awesome.

Glad I'm not awesome,

Christian

Anonymous said...

Keep at it! Have you ever been to a festival? There is one on Saturday at Beloit College. Those beanbags you made really look nice. I know beanbags, I make them too. www.sportjugglingco.com
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Cheryl, The sport balls from your site look very nice. Send me 7 and I'll write a review ;) The balls I made from suede that I got from a few thrift store garments and are filled with safflower seed. They have held up really well for several years, but I'm afraid they will need to be replaced soon. I will probably buy new ones rather than remake them. It was a bit tedious. When I do buy, I will probably get 7 (although I can barely do 5) so that I have a nice large set of matched balls.