Wednesday, April 19, 2006

getCals Getting Some Attention

I placed a news story on digg.com about getCals and have gotten a fair amount of traffic. So people are at least interested in the idea of getCals. Thanks for coming by and if you came here from digg, please digg me :) I'm stuck in that 30ish dig area (37 at the moment) where you are not a 2 digg article but not quite front page material :)

I have gotten a little bit of feedback so far and getCals seems to be working alright for people. Please let me know your experience.

I am trying to come up with some ideas on how to enhance getCals. Right now it is very bare bones. Which is good. But there is surely room for improvement. As you use the software, if you think of things that might be useful, please add you comments here. The one major thing I need to add is a gui configuration tool so that people do not have to manually add or subtract from the .ini file.

I hope you enjoy using getCals, and if you do, please consider making a small donation per the readme file. Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Perl have a standard GUI toolkit? Python has bindings for Tk included in the distribution. Personally, I am a fan of wxPython, which wraps wxWidgets. I know there is a wxPerl as well.

The only issue with adding GUI functionality (in Python, at least) is that it bloats the size of your .exe distribution. I have compressed utilities down to the 2-3MB range, but that is pretty huge considering how tiny *my* actual code was.

Maybe doing a "web" GUI would be the lightest weight thing to do; like Google Desktop's configuration. You include a simple app server and let the browser provide the GUI. I imagine that would keep the size of the .exe sane.

Unknown said...

Tk is also available for Perl, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go on this one.

Anonymous said...

I just noticed that the Lifehacker blog picked up this story.

Anonymous said...

works for 30boxes as well!