Thursday, October 17, 2013

Race Day Nutrition and Hydration

So with race day only 10 days out, I'm getting pretty excited. I've had a few training runs that have left me very encouraged, while others have left something to be desired. I'm still working on my pacing strategy in order to hit my mark. I just don't have a good feel for what 'race day adrenaline' is actually going to do for me and how long it will help sustain me at a slightly faster pace.


One thing that I am pretty well set on at this point is my fueling and hydrating plan. I've decided that since I have spent my entire training cycle wearing my Nathan Elite One Plus belt, that it will be going with me. I actually just picked up some Race Number Clips to add to it. So far in training I've been taking in water every 1 to 1.5 miles on long runs, and keeping it at less than a mouthful. I'll be adding an Endurolyte Fizz tablet from Hammer Nutrition to my 22oz water bottle (probably Mango flavored).


As far as fueling goes, I'll be using Hammer Gel. My plan is to take 1 or 2 single serving packs 15 minutes before the race. Then have 3 servings (from my 26 serving jug) in my 5oz flask. I'll take 1/2 the flask at 5 miles and the rest at 9 miles. I also plan on keeping an extra single serving pack on me in case I need a boost towards the last couple miles.

So yeah, nothing new on race day for sure. These products have done well for me over the last 20 weeks and I feel good about bringing them with me.

No comments: