Tuesday, October 01, 2013

"Are We There Yet 5k" Race Recap

This last weekend I ran in the Greenville First Christian Church Preschool "Are We There Yet 5k".  This race holds a special place in my heart because the 2013 running was the first race I ever trained for in my life. I purchased my first pair of running shoes 5 weeks before it and jogged it at 34:55. This year was different. The 5k took place on the morning of one of my long runs, so I swapped it out with this race which I would consider a short speed workout. The race is an out and back race around a little corner of Greenville, IL.

I got there early and took a 1.25 mile warmup jog and got ready to run. I went out at a good pace and only fell off a little. Runtastic puts my miles at 7:32, 8:17 and 8:40 with my final time at 24:56. That was good enough for 3rd place, only 2m 10s minutes behind the winner. It wasn't a super competitive race, but I feel good about my run. I ran hard and hit my target time of 25 minutes.

So what can 1 year and 900 miles of training do to you? It can cut 10 minutes off a 5k.

No comments: