Saturday, June 15, 2013

Half Marathon Training - Week 2

This week started out a little rough. On Sunday, I came down with some sort of stomach bug and it knocked me down for a good 24 hours. So my Monday workout was nuked. But that's ok. I had a 5 mile easy on Monday and a 4 mile easy scheduled for Tuesday. So I just did the 5 on Tuesday and moved on.

Wednesday was killer! It was my first time to hit the track for intervals. It was hot and muggy, so breathing well was tough. After the warmup mile, I kicked it up into the first 1600 fast interval. 9:04 pace was really fast for me. I realized though that this was my target pace for the race in October, so I better get used to it. Interval 2 and 3 got hard, but I managed to keep it going and made pace for the run. I used the updates to Runtastic Pro app to help with the intervals. You can custom program an interval plan and it will tell you when to speed up or slow down. Very handy. 

Thursday was a nice easy 4 mile run, I kept really close to the plan pace and didn't push hard at all. I've read some articles lately that suggest this for easy runs. 

Friday was another day off, I decided not to cross train, just to get some extra rest for the long run.

Today was a long run. it went very well. I tried some Cytomax in my water bottle and had tropical Hammer Gel in my nutrition flask. Overall it was a very good run. I got to also sport a new Under Armour running outfit from my mom and stepdad. Thanks guys!

I've  been having trouble with GPS tracking and got the suggestion from Runtastic's website to turn off wifi on my phone for better gps tracking. I tried this today and got a near perfect GPS track for thie run.

Week 2 of 21 overview:

Sunday: Rest - Came down with Stomach Bug
Monday: Rest / Sick
Tuesday: 5 Miles - 10:25 pace (easy run)
Wednesday: 6 Miles -  warm; 3x1600m (9:04pace) w/800m jogs; cool (speed work)
Thursday: 4 Miles - 11:07 (easy run)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 13.1 miles - 10:43  pace (long run)

No comments: